Advertisment:

Author Topic: NVR and camera recommendation  (Read 931 times)

Offline dexter8

• View Profile
    • Email
NVR and camera recommendation
« on: August 07, 2015, 03:24:55 am »
Folks
Hoping this forum can help. I've done my research but still find myself going down a rat's hole trying to determine my first home surveillance system. Here are my requirements for 5 PoE outdoor cameras that I need

1) Low power usage since I live in a city with 40c/kWh rates

2) Snapshot ability - take pictures every time it detects motion and send to the cloud

3) 8 or 16 channel since I'll add in the future

I originally was planning to go with the costco kits like swann but reading some negative reviews, I think I can do better while keeping costs the same. I tend to like the hikvision ds-2cd3332-i since it's a turret and even with a vertical mount on the wall, it functions well and has a 7 watts max power rating. But not sure what NVR would best pair with it. Any other cameras I should be considering that mount vertically. The Swann cameras showed a 14 watt max power rating. Any other cameras I should be considering?

Also, I have 2 floors in my house + basement. The NVR will be in the basement and I'm wondering what sort of cabling I need to do. Is remote client viewing pretty good resolution-wise these days to a laptop or should I run an HDMI cable to the 1st floor TV? Maybe run a 2nd cable to my master bedroom on the 2nd floor and use an HDMI splitter

Thanks

Offline dexter8

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NVR and camera recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 09:15:14 pm »
Anybody?

Offline TJ

• View Profile
Re: NVR and camera recommendation
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 02:48:02 pm »
Hello dexter8    Most of the questions you asked have been answered on the forum and almost everyone has a different opinion. When I first started I was like you and was very confused as to all the different options available. Based on reviews, cost, options and availability I chose Hikvision cameras. I have five and have been very happy with them so far. There are few few others that are probably just as good but you have to pick something to start. I don't use an NVR because of the limitations but from what I have read its best to stick with the same brand as the cameras. I use Blue Iris software for my system and so far I been very happy with it. It does take a robust computer to run and can be a challenge to get everything set up correctly. It will do everything you want. All my cameras use Cat5 cable. This was probably the most difficulty part of setting up a system, running cable. I would suggest you start small and expand as you learn.  I now feel very comfortable adding cameras to my system. This site has a wealth of knowledge and people willing to help. You could purchase your cameras from China and save a considerable amount of money, but beware, or buy them locally from a business like Nellys Security who will give you a warranty and help you if you have problems. The options are endless. TJ

Advertisment:

Mobile Theme