Advertisment:

Author Topic: Foscam FI9828P any good? or is there a better ptz  (Read 765 times)

Offline bigg1es663

• View Profile
Foscam FI9828P any good? or is there a better ptz
« on: March 17, 2016, 11:11:58 am »
I'm in the UK and after a ptz with a budget of 100 to 200 GBP.
Ideally I want to buy from a large UK stockist as I am nervous about sending so much money to China.
I realise Foscam is not the greatest manufacturer, however I cannot find anything from say Hikvision under 200 GBP and the Foscam FI9828P seems to do everything I want.
I know foscam wifi is poor. This will be located 9ft from the router so I intend to try it on wifi and if no good simply wire it straight to the router with a network cable... in fact I might just do that straight off.

I have a Foscam FI9826P which has worked just fine so I assume the Foscam FI9828P will be the same but waterproof for outdoors.

Has anyone had any experience of this camera or can recommend anything better?

Offline digger11

• View Profile
Re: Foscam FI9828P any good? or is there a better ptz
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 06:00:53 pm »
There are many better choices than the FI9828P, but without knowing a lot more information about where and why you want a PTZ in that particular location, I wouldn't know what to recommend.

I will give you some things to consider though...

Avoid wireless if at all possible.  A wireless camera is still going to need power run to it, so if you are going to run a wire to it, why not have that wire be an Ethernet cable that carries both the camera power and the network traffic?  I would want a camera that is Power over Ethernet capable, and that adheres to either the 802.3af or 802.3at POE standards.

A PTZ camera is going to cost you quite a bit more than a fixed camera.  Unless the PTZ camera has auto tracking (which you are unlikely to find in your stated price range) the camera is either going to spend most of its time pointing at one particular view, or is going to be following a preprogrammed patrol, or perhaps jumping to a preset based on some external event such as when another camera has detected movement.  You may want to consider whether you would be better served by 2 or more lower cost fixed cameras providing you with continuous coverage of the same area that the PTZ would be able to cover.

If you really want/need a PTZ, and you don't want to spend much money, I'd suggest that you look into the Huisun cameras.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/forumdisplay.php/58-Huisun 
I have one of the 10x V1 PTZs, and like it quite a bit.  They are now selling 10x, 4x, and 3x V2 PTZs that you can read up on at the above forum.
You would probably have to purchase off of Aliexpress, but you would be looking at a price near that 100 GBP low end of your price range.

If you want a PTZ from a well known manufacturer that you can probably find from a UK dealer and get warranty support for, I'd look at the Dahua PTZ cameras, and find which model or models meet your needs, and then look for a good price from a reputable UK dealer.  There are some Dahua PTZs that can be found on Aliexpress that are under that 200 GBP price point, but I have no idea how much of a mark up you would be looking at to get them from a UK dealer.

Offline bigg1es663

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 06:04:46 pm »
Thanks for advice, I will look at those mentioned. You are right in that it will point in one direction most of the time.Its for the front of my home covering the entrance and front garden from second floor level. Its will be left fixed most of the time but its nice if I can manually move it if I see something suspicious and thereby also help look after the neighbours.

I will almost certainly run Poe. Only this morning I fixed the intermittent wifi on my Foscam F19900 by plugging it into a power adapter with a network cable. Its now working reliably at a good frame rate which is wasn't before.

Offline digger11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 11:03:38 pm »
From what I'm reading in the forums, you may want to avoid the 4x V2 Huisun cameras for awhile. That variant was only recently released and several people are reporting issues with them.  Hopefully they can be remedied by a new firmware version.

Advertisment:

Mobile Theme