Advertisment:

Author Topic: Randomly Loosing Connection to Cams  (Read 750 times)

Offline CritterLes

• View Profile
Randomly Loosing Connection to Cams
« on: March 17, 2016, 02:41:03 pm »
This subject has been posted and I have tried all the solutions with no success.
I have ^ Foscam 19810W cams at 2 locations. The first location has no issues but the second location keeps dropping connection randomly to any of the 3 cams. They may run a few days and then suddenly no cam connection to 1  cam. I used static address but since I only connect to the cams within the network, this isn't necessary. If I use the Foscam  IPCamera camera finder software it only finds 2 out of 3 cams. I am running Blue Iris to pan, take pics and periodically upload to the web server. Firmware is up to date. The only way to reconnect is to power down the can and then let it reboot after power up. The cams are less that 1 year old.
I am starting to wonder if the network has a problem and might be getting overloaded.
Does anyone know of any network monitoring software that could report when a connection to a device has terminated? 
One person mentioned changing the contrast of the camera, that didn't work either.
Any other possible solutions would be appreciated.
Thank you

Offline digger11

• View Profile
Re: Randomly Loosing Connection to Cams
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 05:13:22 pm »
Does anyone know of any network monitoring software that could report when a connection to a device has terminated? 

You can set up Blue Iris to send an alert when the connection is lost to the camera.  In the BI help file, search for "Watchdog" to read about the feature.

I recommend setting up the watchdog alerts and then as soon as possible after communication is lost to the camera, try accessing that camera's web user interface from the local network.  If the camera's UI isn't responsive you are probably dealing with either a network or a camera problem.  Since you say that the camera comes back online after you power cycle the camera, I'm suspecting a camera problem though.

Something you might want to look into is that the BI watchdog has the ability to try to reboot a camera after loss of communication.  I don't know whether it would be able to reboot your Foscam, but it might be worth trying.

Offline CritterLes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 11:25:34 pm »
Digger, thanks for the Watchdog suggestion. Doesn't solve the problem but it does alert me when it happens.
Thank you so much.

:)

Offline tenmile

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:42:30 pm »
I've been using Foscam wireless cameras for several years.  My recommendation to you is to purchase an inexpensive XMas light timer and have the cameras reboot every day.  At least that way if you're away/remote you can be assured that the camera should only miss one day of recording.

For the last 2 years, I have only been installing POE powered cameras from POE switches I can manage remotely (I use Meraki 8 port POE switches).  If/when a camera hangs, I reboot the POE port on the switch and the device will generally come back online once again.

Offline jayson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 04:33:57 am »
I've been using Foscam wireless cameras for several years.  My recommendation to you is to purchase an inexpensive XMas light timer and have the cameras reboot every day.  At least that way if you're away/remote you can be assured that the camera should only miss one day of recording.

For the last 2 years, I have only been installing POE powered cameras from POE switches I can manage remotely (I use Meraki 8 port POE switches).  If/when a camera hangs, I reboot the POE port on the switch and the device will generally come back online once again.
A timer or managed switch is NOT a solution for a junk camera. The trashcan is. What is the point of cams if they randomly go down. Murphy's law will bite you.

Advertisement

Offline TheUberOverLord

• View Profile
    • Free IP Camera Software
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 01:41:35 pm »
This subject has been posted and I have tried all the solutions with no success.
I have ^ Foscam 19810W cams at 2 locations. The first location has no issues but the second location keeps dropping connection randomly to any of the 3 cams. They may run a few days and then suddenly no cam connection to 1  cam. I used static address but since I only connect to the cams within the network, this isn't necessary. If I use the Foscam  IPCamera camera finder software it only finds 2 out of 3 cams. I am running Blue Iris to pan, take pics and periodically upload to the web server. Firmware is up to date. The only way to reconnect is to power down the can and then let it reboot after power up. The cams are less that 1 year old.
I am starting to wonder if the network has a problem and might be getting overloaded.
One person mentioned changing the contrast of the camera, that didn't work either.
Any other possible solutions would be appreciated.
Thank you

You are very welcome.

Quote from: Pedro Carvalho
I need help with configuration of static ip adress.
My network is 10.1.1.1 with SM: 255.255.0.0
I try to configure adress 10.1.5.100 and because my DG is 10.1.1.254 i get error that DG is not in the same network.
Please make sure that you have the most current firmware for your camera model installed:

http://www.foscam.com/download-center/firmware-downloads.html

Are using more than one Router/AP? If so, please see this:

Here is an example on how two times port forwarding should be setup. When dealing with two routers and cameras:

For example, the LAN IP of router1 is 192.168.0.1, LAN IP of router2 is 192.168.11.1, its WAN IP is 192.168.0.5, you can get these information in LAN and WAN settings in your router.

Camera and PC both connect to router2, PC’s LAN IP is 192.168.11.23, camera’s LAN IP is 192.168.11.56, port is 85.

Here are the steps to do these two port forwarding:

1)First, please do port forwarding in router2, forward to camera’s ip 192.168.11.56 and port 85;
 2)Second, please do port forwarding in router1, forward to router2’s ip 192.168.0.5 and port 85;

Router1: forward to router2 (IP is 192.168.0.5, port 85)
Router2: forward to camera (IP is 192.168.11.56, port 85)

Also, please see this it has the most stable configuration settings for ALL Foscam camera models:

http://foscam.us/forum/post15934.html#p15934

Don

Advertisment:

Mobile Theme