Advertisment:

Author Topic: Keeping the network working when my ISP goes down  (Read 239 times)

Offline mwhitnell

• View Profile
    • Email
Keeping the network working when my ISP goes down
« on: November 23, 2016, 11:35:36 pm »
Ok, I have 3 win 7 computers in my home, 10 cameras.  All devices have a static IP.  My router is 10.0.0.1, I have a 'set of addresses  10.0.0.20 thru 10.0.0.30' of IP's assigned using the router DHCP for devices that are temp can be auto assigned.  When my ISP goes down so does my network, none of the computers can see each other, and BI shows no signal on all cameras.  What do I need to do to my main computer (software) so my home network functions regardless of an ISP internet connection lost?

Offline Doomsday

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Keeping the network working when my ISP goes down
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 05:01:03 pm »
Your main computer has nothing to do with it. its your router configuration. Instead of setting your devices with stattic ips that are outside the range set in your router, try setting your computers to dhcp but in the router, use mac addresses to reserve ips for each one. That way they always get the same ip. This is definitely a router config issue.

Offline mwhitnell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 06:12:38 pm »
OK, if I read you correctly, I should change all my cameras, computers TV, etc to allow DHCP assignment from my router...so do not assign static IPs with the camera software, or computer local area connection.  Then open up my DHCP pool range to at least cover the number of devices I have, say 10.0.0.2 thru 10.0.0.100 or so.  The goto cmd and type arp -p to get a listing of my connected devices and their respective physical addresses.  Then goto the router and associate, a  MAC address to a specific IP address.  Then restart my router, and the router will always associate each device (camera, TV, printer, computer) using the database in the DHCP bank to assign the IP I have associated to the identifying device MAC address.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 02:53:36 pm by mwhitnell »

Offline mwhitnell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 02:52:41 pm »
I have explained in a little more detail what Doomsday recommends.  Basically there are 2 ways to force the router to designate and assign an IP address and associate the IP with the devices physical address (MAC).  1. You do what Doomsday says, set the assignment within the router, by assigning a MAC address to a specific IP.  2.  Set the assignment within the device (computer, camera, printer, etc).  Both ways do exactly the same without reservations.  They both lock together IP & MAC addresses.  The advantage of number 2. is this assignment is in the device and is transferred to the router then is permanently in the router each time the router starts starts.  If you allow DHCP to set the IP of the device (1.), DHCP will pick an IP within the ranges open in the router and set an IP for the device.  This assignment will be stored in the router, and will always be what IP the device will get, even if the router is turned off and on.  So basically the camera, computer, etc will always have the same IP regardless if the device or router are rebooted.  Once the assignment is established, it is stored in the router software, until you hard reset the router.  The advantage of number 2. is this IP MAC assignment is forever locked in the device until you change it.  If you change and buy a different router, this assignment is lost if you allow DHCP to set it for you.  So in short I believe number 2. is favorable to number 1.  So perhaps someone has an idea to the question I originally asked.

Offline Doomsday

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 05:02:48 pm »
This is why I say its a router issue. Just because your internet goes down, it should never take down your local network. Maybe you are dealing with a router/modem that is set a specific way by your isp or your router setup is really off. I have never found router/modem combos to be worth a crap. They almost always end up having some type of issues with port forwarding. I much prefer setting the modem/router to bridge mode and using my own router behind it. If you have just a regular router, then you need to do a google search on best way to set up that router.

Advertisement

Advertisment:

Mobile Theme