Author Topic: webcamxp remote viewing help  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Chiropracteer

• View Profile
webcamxp remote viewing help
« on: January 14, 2012, 03:08:03 pm »
I have a logitech c310 webcam installed on my ftp server (offsite that BI uploads to already). I have just installed webcamxp software on the server and all is well. How do I get the camera into BI? Is it possible since the server already uses a port?

Offline bottman

• View Profile
Re: webcamxp remote viewing help
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 05:57:46 pm »
I am not mistaken you would just need to add a new camera, and WebCamXP is an available supported camera in the list. Just full in the correct http port, username and password. You may need to open the port (firewall permission) used by WebCamXP on the computer acting as the WebCamXP Server.

I seem to remember getting it to work with VLC using "img/video.mjpeg" as the path (no quotes) with VLC. So if the dropdown doesn't work, you may also be able to add it as a generic MJPEG stream or as JPEG requests.

Offline Chiropracteer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 06:49:22 pm »
I've got webcam xp installed on the computer being used as my offsite FTP server. In the webcam xp settings, it is showing that BI is connected, but in BI the webcamxp camera panel says no signal. ...and that's where I'm stuck.

Offline Chiropracteer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:00:28 pm »
...btw I setup the cam in BI using "configure" under the video tab and tried both, webcampro jpeg and MJPEG Stream, as well as JPEG Requests, but get no signal still. Again, under the webcamxp it says it is connected though. I am able to view it remotely via another computer, but just not through BI.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:44:43 pm by Chiropracteer »

Offline bottman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 05:12:40 pm »
For fun like this I usually turn to one of my favorite applications... VLC.

If it was me, I would find a way to get VLC to pull from the remote WebCamXP, confirm its working, then apply to BlueIris.

It's faster for me to work with VLC then BlueIris, with regards to trial and error attempts.

Wish there was an easy answer...

Offline Chiropracteer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 07:01:30 pm »
How do I apply it to BI from VLC? I'm assuming your speaking of video LAN when you say VLC? Also, I've verified the webcam is working. I've already applied it to the mobile app "IP Cam Viewer" on my phone. I've also typed in the IP address and port number from another location and all is well. So, it's definitely online and working, I just don't know how to make BI recognize it.

Offline lj502

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 04:05:00 am »
I also use webcamxp serving a couple of cams to BI, in your video tab for that camera (in BI) set up your ip and port and use the model "MJPEG stream" for the type of camera, in the Path setting for video just put "cam_1.cgi"
See if this works for you.
John

Offline Chiropracteer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 04:57:13 pm »
I also use webcamxp serving a couple of cams to BI, in your video tab for that camera (in BI) set up your ip and port and use the model "MJPEG stream" for the type of camera, in the Path setting for video just put "cam_1.cgi"
See if this works for you.
John

That worked like a charm!! Many thanks!

Offline bottman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 11:51:20 pm »
What kind of CPU use does WebCamXP pull from the box you are using as an FTP & WebCamXP Server? I've been wanting to add one of my USB Cameras to my XBMC PC and move the IP Camera to another location, but I don't want to tax an already taxed system!

Offline Chiropracteer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 04:46:47 am »
It's from one of those old, small form factor, Dell Optiplexs (GX620 I think). Anyway, it has a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz with 1GB RAM and a fresh install of WinXP Pro. Seems to run quite well.

Offline bottman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 12:46:45 am »
Good to know. I guess trial and error may be the preferred means of my finding out how system intensive it is! Similar hardware, Optiplex 3xx with a P4 3.0 HT & 1GB RAM. Handles XBMC Media playback duties decently... Weekend is just a few days away!

Offline Chiropracteer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 01:17:23 am »
lol I know what you mean. I'm trying to decide if my next project is a htpc or dive into home automation. I'm just finishing up my BI dedicated machine build tonight. It's hard to tell lol

Offline bottman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 03:29:24 am »
Let me introduce you to LinuxMCE and/or MythTV....  Ultimately your decision. But they will do home automation, camera DVR(zoneminder), PVR for TV (with tv card) media player, PBX for voip (had a cracked magic jack before they changed their authentication methods) with the abilities to sense where you are and begin playback as you migrate rooms (via Bluetooth)...

More Features than I wish to explain here! I'm running XBMC just because of its roots to my hard modded xbox one console and what I ran back then...

Offline Chiropracteer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 02:59:11 pm »
WOW!!! I was just thinking something simple just because I'm no programmer, but that is what I have dreamed of! Im not familiar with Linux (always been scared of it as I know nothing about programming). Does BI coexist with LinuxMCE? That is seriously what I've always wanted. I feel like a little kid starstruck now haha

Offline bottman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 03:16:18 pm »
If your main rig supports hardware virtualization and has enough horse power... you can run blueiris in a virtual machine on your "server". I have run a Windows XP Pro SP3 with Blueiris in a VM with a Linux & FreeBSD Host (server/hypervisor). You would loose direct hardware support for capture cards and such... but it is possible.

I used ZoneMinder in both of those packages... but I landed on BlueIris. Better Dev. I haven't seen much tread-way on Zoneminder, I didn't like the pure web configuration (as versatile as it was) and a few other things, but otherwise rock solid and I would go back... If I didn't pay for BI already!

There is LiveCD Versions for your ability to test out the OS as a whole without touching your original Installed OS. I found LinuxMCE easier to pick up, but kept coming back around to MythTV (despite my distaste for the debian based branch [ubuntu]). Can't say two much... got a ubuntu RSYNC Server sitting in my house.

Mythbuntu would probably be the closest to a "Turn Key" solution. Includes pre configured system, just install like you would any other Windows OS.... for the most part! Give it a whirl, and hit  me up if there is something you think I may be able to assist with. Just don't go to far into that rabbit hole with this forum... after all... this is a BlueIris forum... not Zoneminder! (PS- Check out the LiveCD's, they leave you OS intact while allowing you to play!)

Mobile Theme