Advertisment:

Author Topic: Foscam FI8910W  (Read 10337 times)

Offline CoCo

• View Profile
Foscam FI8910W
« on: July 07, 2012, 11:48:04 pm »
Hello.

I am new to this forum and TOTALLY new to surveillance cameras, so any assistance provided would be greatly appreciated.  We want to purchase cameras for my husband's retail business and are considering purchasing these:

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8910W-Wireless-Network-Camera/dp/B006ZP8UOW/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I have a few questions:  would we be able to set these cameras up in his office without a computer being set up there?  I'm thinking we would probably not be able to do so, but if the building where the store is located has WIFI access, I thought it might be possible.

Also, how would we be able to record the video from the cameras?  The camera's description says it has built-in capabilities for this, but how would we do this without a DVR connected to it?

Once again, thanks in advance for any assistance on these questions. 

Offline reddawg

• View Profile
Re: Foscam FI8910W
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 09:47:29 am »
would we be able to set these cameras up in his office without a computer being set up there?  I'm thinking we would probably not be able to do so, but if the building where the store is located has WIFI access, I thought it might be possible.

You are going to need a computer/notebook at your office in order to set up and configure your Foscam 8910W IP camera. In order to configure your Foscam 8910W IP camera, you will need to connect it directly to your router by a network (CAT-5) cable. Once you have configured the wireless portion of your Foscam 8910W IP camera and enable it, it will reboot and begin using the wireless. Make sure you disconnect the network cable. If you decide to use wireless, make sure that you use WPA2-PSK (AES) for security.

How to Setup & Configure Foscam FI8910W Wireless IP Camera

Also, how would we be able to record the video from the cameras?  The camera's description says it has built-in capabilities for this, but how would we do this without a DVR connected to it?

Most IP cameras have three options for recording video from your IP camera:

Option 1: Use the software built into the IP camera for recording video or taking snapshots. The IP camera upon motion will upload images to an FTP server or to an e-mail account.

Option 2: Use the software bundled with the IP camera for recording video. The software is installed on a computer. It has better functionality than the IP camera's built-in software.

Option 3: Use a 3rd party software for recording your images from your camera. Again, a PC is required for this option.

I found that BlueIris (3rd party) software offers the most complete set of features for a security surveillence software and its motion detection algorithms are the best. But, it will require a PC and it should be at the same location as your IP cameras.

In order to access your Foscam 8910W camera from the Internet, you will need to configure port forwarding in your router. For a Cisco Linksys E2500 router, you could follow these instructions:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/E2500/Foscam_FI8910.htm

If you have a different router, then goto http://portforward.com and look up your router.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:54:46 am by reddawg »
PC: Dell Vostro 260, Intel Core i5-2400 Quad Core @ 3.10GHz, 8GB Memory, 500GB SATA HD
Cams: Dahua IPC-HFW2100 1280x960@10fps, Gadspot GS1600 640x480@15fps, Loftek Specter 640x480@10fps, Edimax IC-3030iWn 1280x1024@10fps

Offline CoCo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 11:44:58 pm »
Thanks so much for your response and for the link to the youtube video!

Again, I am TOTALLY new to surveillance cameras, so please forgive my elementary questions.

We want to install one or two cameras in my husbands store, which is located inside of an office building.  When he is there, he uses the hotspot on his cellphone as a wi-fi connection for his laptop during the day.  When he leaves in the evening, he takes his laptop with him, so there is no computer at the office. 

Will we be able to install/set up these cameras for use in his office while he is not there (no computer/internet connection while he is not there)? 

If not, will a wired camera system work in the office with no computer there?

Offline pomonabill221

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 07:13:41 pm »
Also something to keep in mind...

Remote storage (NOT in the office or building) is usually recommended.

If something were to happen at the office/building, your recorded evidence would be gone.
You could lock the DVR or computer (if you get one) up, but it is still on site and could be stolen/water damage/fire damage/etc., so remote storage is strongly recommended.

Just something to keep in mind!
Asus M4A88TD-v evo/usb3 running AMD HEX 3.6G with 4 gig ram, 500g drive, 2 Foscam FI8918 wired, 2 foSCAM 9818 wired, 2 foSCAM 8905 wired, 1 Trendnet IP TV-IP110, ProCurve 1800-24G managed switch (free), Win7 64 bit as of 12/1/2014

Advertisment:

Mobile Theme