Author Topic: Green Ethernet and Energy Efficient Ethernet may cause problems with BI  (Read 5560 times)

Offline reddawg

• View Profile
For some time, probably since I upgraded my BI computer, I have been seeing "Socket error" messages in BI Stats Messages for all my IP cameras. This message usually appeared in BI Stats Message between 1-2 times during the day along with Watchdog resets on my Loftek camera.

My understanding of what a "Socket error" represents is some sort of network communication error. This didn't make a lot of sense to me because all my network cables are CAT-6 (solid wire) and passed all stress tests for gigabit. All my cameras, gigabit switches, wireless router and BI PC are connected to APC battery backup unit(s). So, no power outages should effect my cameras, switches, wireless router or BI router. As long as they don't exceed 20 minutes.

Everything seemed to point to a possible problem on my BI PC. So, I made sure that I was using the latest network drivers for Windows 7 and verified that power management was disabled for Sleep, Hard drive, network adapter, etc.  A few days ago, I disabled "Green Ethernet" and "Energy Efficient Ethernet" in my network adapter settings and POOF my "Socket error" messages and "watchdog" messages are gone. So, it has now been two days without any "Socket error" or "Watchdog" message in BI Stats Messages. See the attached pictures below for how to disable "Energy Efficient Ethernet" and "Green Ethernet".

Definition of Energy Efficient Ethernet / Green Ethernet

Energy-Efficient Ethernet is a set of enhancements to the twisted-pair and backplane Ethernet family of computer networking standards that will allow for less power consumption during periods of low data activity. The intention was to reduce power consumption by 50% or more, while retaining full compatibility with existing equipment. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), through the IEEE 802.3az task force developed the standard. The IEEE ratified the final standard in September 2010. Some companies introduced technology to reduce the power required for Ethernet before the standard was ratified, using the name Green Ethernet.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:54:15 am by reddawg »
PC: Dell Vostro 260, Intel Core i5-2400 Quad Core @ 3.10GHz, 8GB Memory, 500GB SATA HD
Cams: Dahua IPC-HFW2100 1280x960@10fps, Gadspot GS1600 640x480@15fps, Loftek Specter 640x480@10fps, Edimax IC-3030iWn 1280x1024@10fps

Offline maximosm

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Green Ethernet and Energy Efficient Ethernet may cause problems with BI
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:36:30 am »
I am taking socket error and many watchdog timeout: network reset from the one of my 2 cameras.The cameras are wifi.Which is the problem?I try to find in the hel of BI but i cant.

This hapends last 3-4 days.I cant find the problem.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:10:35 am by maximosm »

Offline pomonabill221

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 08:25:49 pm »
Did you turn off the "green" settings on your NICs?
I had the same/similar problem and turned off all the "energy saving" settings on my NIC and my problem went away as well.
Asus M4A88TD-v evo/usb3 running AMD quad 3.6G with 4 gig ram, 500g drive, 2 Foscam FI8918 wired, 2 foSCAM 8905 wired, 1 Trendnet IP (something), ProCurve 1800-24G managed switch (free), Win7 64 bit as of 6/28/2013

Offline maximosm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 06:41:20 am »
I see the green but was out. So I make antivirus ignore BI I take a look to firewall but still having the problem.  Is it possible to be the wifi?

Offline maximosm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 02:15:06 pm »
What Brand and Model of camera? vstarcam f6836w
Distance from router?  It is about 10meters
Can you test WiFi strength at camera?  I cant but the phone there has goog signal
Can you temporarily connect a Cat5/6 cable to the camera to test? I have not try it.

Mobile Theme