Author Topic: Moving Blue Iris to new PC, lost registration  (Read 6911 times)

Offline Bteam

• View Profile
    • Email
Moving Blue Iris to new PC, lost registration
« on: March 08, 2013, 12:48:42 am »
Hi,

I thought I'd followed all the rules for moving BI from a Windows 8 64 bit PC to a 32 bit XP PC but have lost the registration details so have started reconfiguring the new PC using the evaluation software. The developer hasn't answered my emails requesting my licence details so can anyone help me retrieve them as I did copy the .reg files from the original PC.
The experience has been educational in that I have a better understanding of BI and how it can be configured. However in 12 days I'll be tossing away $ to reregister a product I already have a licence for.
Thanks in advance

Offline reddawg

• View Profile
Re: Moving Blue Iris to new PC, lost registration
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 02:11:41 am »
Usually, all you need to do to move BI from one PC to another is the following:

1. Export BI settings from BI Options, which saves the information in the form of "Blue Iris.reg" file to either C:\Program Files (x86)\Blue Iris 3 or C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 3.

2. Copy the "Blue Iris.reg" file to the new PC

3. Install Blue Iris (Full version) and exit (do not activate).

4. Double click on the "Blue Iris.reg" file so it imports all of BI settings.

5. Run Blue Iris and activate your license key.

When you move BI to another PC of the same architecture (32-bit to 32-bit or 64-bit to 64-bit), the above steps work perfectly. But, when you move BI from a 32-bit PC to 64-bit PC, or vice versa, it doesn't work because BI stores its information in different places in the registry.

Windows 64-bit OS: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Perspective Software
Windows 32-bit OS: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software

One solution, would be to open "Blue Iris.reg" using notepad and do a search and replace:

Find what:     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Perspective Software
Replace with: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software

and then save it as "Blue Iris x32.reg". You can follow all the above steps, but modify step 4 so it uses "Blue Iris x32.reg", as outlined above.

** edit **

I also wrote migration tools for BI (ConvertBI-Backup.CMD, BackupBI.cmd) that are found here at http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=2929.msg12130#msg12130.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:18:47 pm by reddawg »
PC: Dell Vostro 260, Intel Core i5-2400 Quad Core @ 3.10GHz, 8GB Memory, 500GB SATA HD
Cams: Dahua IPC-HFW2100 1280x960@10fps, Gadspot GS1600 640x480@15fps, Loftek Specter 640x480@10fps, Edimax IC-3030iWn 1280x1024@10fps

Offline Bteam

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 05:04:09 am »
Thanks for that. I followed all the steps but only ended up with a '0' day evaluation version, so had to reinstall the BI software and all its settings.

Why don't I receive my licence?

Stickman

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 02:27:13 pm »
I just followed reddawgs instructions going from 32 bit to 64 bit and it worked perfect...BUT you still have to reactivate due to the hardware change and OS. As far as getting license to reactivate....do you mean you don't remember your license code ?? You get 3 times to activate. If you go over the 3 time limit....just send Ken your license code and he will immediately reset it....I have done this several times  ;D  Now if it is the case of you not knowing what the code is....why should Ken waste his time looking through records when all you had is save it.....just my point of view. When I buy software....the first thing I do is SAVE the registration info !

Offline Bteam

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:36:55 pm »
Good for you Stickman. Yes, the instructions did convert the .reg files to 32 bit but doesn't retrieve a working version of Blue Iris when imported to my PC.
Thanks for the homily POV about saving registration no's. I had done that too.
I don't understand why I haven't received a reply from Ken in a week so have emailed him again with my registration code.

Regards,

Stephen

Stickman

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 10:27:02 pm »
All you needed to do is delete the registration key in BI registry....this will give you 15 more days and retain all of your settings.....then just reactivate with your code. As far as getting your code reset....when you send license to Ken its a quick fix IF he has your license number. 

Offline reddawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 08:06:58 pm »
When you order Blue Iris from Perspective Software or a reseller, the order is processed by RegNow (Digital River). You should have received an e-mail from RegNow with the order information and the license key for Blue Iris. If Ken (developer) from Blue Iris is not able to lookup or find your license key from your e-mail address, you should be able to get it by going to RegNow at the following link:

http://www.regnow.com/help.html
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:09:08 pm by reddawg »
PC: Dell Vostro 260, Intel Core i5-2400 Quad Core @ 3.10GHz, 8GB Memory, 500GB SATA HD
Cams: Dahua IPC-HFW2100 1280x960@10fps, Gadspot GS1600 640x480@15fps, Loftek Specter 640x480@10fps, Edimax IC-3030iWn 1280x1024@10fps

Offline Bteam

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 09:27:45 pm »
Thanks, I have all that information but the licence code doesn't work. I made one mistake previously in seeing an "1" as a "I" in the code.

I bought BI v2.x in July 2010 for which I received the licence but not long after would it have been automatically upgraded to v3?

Regardless of whether Ken can help me, is he really so busy that he can't acknowledge 4 emails from me? I will now install v 2.x and see if that works with my licence code.

Again thanks for your help but as of now I'm not getting anywhere. I'd have saved time if I'd shelled out another $49.95 but I'm concerned about what happens if I have to go through this again when upgrading the PC in the future.

Latest*** I have successfully installed v2.64 with my licence. I'll now wait and see whether I have to pay for an upgrade to v3.0

Regards,
Stephen
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 09:51:53 pm by Bteam »

Stickman

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 10:45:56 pm »
Good grief....of course you would have to pay for the upgrade we all did !!  You really wasted a lot of peoples time here trying to help you when if you would of stated what your last post said it would of been a easy answer.

I am not sure....but you use to be able to upgrade for 50% off if you had 2.0.....when you start B2 it should tell you if the promo code is still available.

Offline Bteam

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 11:19:40 pm »
To recap, after emailing the developer for help I tried to transfer my licence for v3 to another PC following the instructions here, but wasn't successful. I have been using a bona fide copy of v3 for some time so I must have a licence.
I didn't set out to waste your time and my time has been wasted too because of the lack of support from the developer. The benefit is I have a much better idea of how BI works having (re)loaded it at least 6 times as I tried to get it to work as it was 2 weeks ago on another PC. I hope I can help some other newbie in due course through this forum.  :)

And thanks for your patience.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:21:54 pm by Bteam »

Offline reddawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 02:52:01 am »
To recap, after emailing the developer for help I tried to transfer my licence for v3 to another PC following the instructions here, but wasn't successful.

Stickman could not have explained it any better. You can't transfer a BI 2.x license to another computer and use it as a 3.x license. You have to pay for the upgrade.

I have been using a bona fide copy of v3 for some time so I must have a licence.

If you purchased a license for BI 3.x, then there will be a record of it at RegNow. Goto http://www.regnow.com/help.html and click on the link Online Order Lookup and provide your e-mail address and either the last five digits of your credit card number or your order ID. You can even contact their customer service by e-mail.

I didn't set out to waste your time and my time has been wasted too because of the lack of support from the developer.

hachoo, hachoo, hachoo, sorry, I am allergic to BS. Nobody provides better support than the developer of Blue Iris.

In advance, your Welcome.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:32:39 am by reddawg »

Offline Bteam

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 03:03:42 am »
It's getting a bit too hot in here for me ;D so I have one last question. When did BI move to v3.0? Month, year? Then I can possibly track down the information about the missing licence.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:26:19 am by Bteam »

Offline fastone01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 03:46:22 am »
It's getting a bit too hot in here for me ;D so I have one last question. When did BI move to v3.0? Month, year? Then I can possibly track down the information about the missing licence.

Hi

See post!

http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=2144.0

BI 3.0 release month date.

Patience is a virtue!!!
Cheer.

Offline pomonabill221

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 07:09:39 am »
I agree wholeheartly about Ken's support!
You cannot find BETTER support anywhere!

To expect Ken to jump at the snap of anyone's finger though is really asking a little too much as he does have a life.
He has always answered my questions within a day or two, and has never blown me off because my question was basic OR advanced.

I, like everyone else here, did pay the upgrade fee (I believe it was around $25?) after purchasing the initial v2.xx for $50, and haven't regretted it!

Of course, you can do whatever you wish... NO ONE is holding you to Blue Iris... it's obviously up to you, BUT with all the expertise on these forums with the large user base, and the excellent support that Ken is known to provide, you will be hard pressed to find a better product with ALL the features that BI has to offer!

Like Fastone01 said... patience is a virtue!!!!
Asus M4A88TD-v evo/usb3 running AMD quad 3.6G with 4 gig ram, 500g drive, 2 Foscam FI8918 wired, 2 foSCAM 8905 wired, 1 Trendnet IP (something), ProCurve 1800-24G managed switch (free), Win7 64 bit as of 6/28/2013

Mobile Theme