Author Topic: GoPro HERO3 as a security camera?  (Read 5573 times)

Offline tom95521

• View Profile
GoPro HERO3 as a security camera?
« on: May 08, 2013, 05:13:31 pm »
It looks like it is possible. Those little cameras have great image quality. I sometimes see them for sale at Costco and was just wondering ... (probably need to figure out how to use a dc power supply other than battery).

http://motherloaded.net/how-to-stream-gopro-hero3-video-over-wifi-to-pc/2

Tom

Offline N6VMO

• View Profile
Re: GoPro HERO3 as a security camera?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 05:29:50 pm »

Back about a year ago, when I was looking for an action camera like the GoPro Hero I remember reading that the GoPro Hero will not provide video while the USB power/recharge cable is plugged in. So, it was/is only useable on its internal battery

That is why I bought a Swann's 'GoPro' equivalent. The Swann will capture video with the USB power/recharge cable is plugged in. It also has a removeable LCD screen, which the GoPro did not.

Now, GoPro may have changed that configuration since then, so you'll have to do some research.

2 x ESC-HFW2100 1.3MP - 720p and 2 x Swann 2MP OUTDOOR Bullet IP PoE Cameras.
Cisco Catalyst Express 520-8pc-K9 PoE Switch.  Blue Iris Video Security and Webcam Software. HP ENVY H8-1534 Desktop, AMD FX-6200 Hexa-Core 3.8GHz, 10GB DDR3, 1.5TB SATA. Tripp-Lite Smart1500LCD UPS.

Offline tom95521

• View Profile
Re: GoPro HERO3 as a security camera?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:45:12 am »
I think I will wait for the gopro hero 4. It should be here by the end of the year (guess). I really like the wdr and lens. Maybe it will have poe or USB tethering in the next version.

Tom

Mobile Theme