Author Topic: LAN IP Address for Blue Iris keeps changing  (Read 2051 times)

Offline ca2pa

• View Profile
LAN IP Address for Blue Iris keeps changing
« on: June 19, 2013, 06:45:57 am »
I have three Foscam cameras set up and their LAN IP addresses are static and never change but the LAN IP address for the Blue Iris program (under the web tab) changes every few days. I thought LAN addresses never change. What could be causing it to keep getting a new address assigned to it?  I know the difference between LAN and WAN.  I'm talking about it changing from 192.168.1.3:1659 to 192.168.1.13:1659 and 192.168.1.10:1659.  I have no problems with the cameras working with the IP Camera Tool and the Foscam Pro app as their LAN addresses stay the same. Do you know what might cause this to happen just to the Blue Iris program?  When it changes then my iPad Blue Iris app (in home network) has to be changed or I can't open it because it will tell me to check the network address. Would Avast Virus Protection have anything to do with it? or a firewall?  Maybe the router? Windows update?  I'm confused. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Offline Flyingdutchman

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: LAN IP Address for Blue Iris keeps changing
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:29:12 am »
Best is to set also the PC where Blue Iris is installed as static IP. Same procedure as for the cameras.

Offline Davey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 10:19:28 am »
Best is to set also the PC where Blue Iris is installed as static IP. Same procedure as for the cameras.

Its true  :)
e = mc2 give or take 3 fps

Offline MaxIcon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 08:40:30 pm »
This is your router's DHCP that's changing it.  Some routers use sticky IP addresses; that is, they always give the same IP address to a certain MAC address, even after reboots or disconnects.  Others change the IP address, sometimes at reboots (either router or PC), sometimes randomly.

Like everyone says, set a static IP address; no more problems!

Offline nigelnorris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:54:13 am »
I'm having a mare with this too. I had SKY BB and their router [in this respect] is nice, very straightforward DHCP address reservation, works well. Now I've switched to Virgin and their 'Superhub' is vile. Will not hold the addresses no matter what. I'm about to disconnect the wireless/router aspect of it, just leave the Superhub in modem mode, and plug the leftover SKY box into it and use that for DHCP control.

Cam It!

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:54:13 am »
    Advertisement

Offline stoneyc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 12:38:17 pm »
sign up for free no-ip account put that in blue iris with the ports that should solve your problems

Offline CVille

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 01:16:10 pm »
sign up for free no-ip account put that in blue iris with the ports that should solve your problems
This will work for trying to get to BI from outside the LAN. The OP is having problems with the IPs of the cameras changing, inside the LAN.

As others suggested, the cameras should have a static IP assigned on the LAN side.

Offline Davey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 02:42:59 pm »
Stoney ground springs to mind  :D

Offline Davey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 03:07:49 pm »
Lol...

The answer to life, the universe and everything

http://bit.ly/19h4Lwa

Offline ca2pa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 04:30:57 pm »
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I didn't know or know you could or how to assign a static IP but will follow those directions in the link.  Thanks!
Linda

Cam It!

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 04:30:57 pm »
    Advertisement

Offline ca2pa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 06:39:18 pm »
I tried the directions for Windows Vista that JohnRH linked to and I seemed to work. But I didn't know what to put in the preferred DNS and Alternate DNS. It wouldn't let you leave it blank. I tried the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 that was in the example.  I thought all was good because everything was working on the LAN.  But when I went to my 4G smartphone (wifi turned off) and tried to connect with the app it wouldn't. Also the camera app on the WAN 4G won't load either, now where it did before I did this change.  I then tried to put in for the DNS and Alternate DNS...192.168.1.1 (which is my router's address) and 192.168.1.2 (just a guess as they can't be the same it says.) It still doesn't work. Do you know what may have changed by me giving my computer a static address?  The cameras work off the router even when my computer is shut off so I figure something happened with the router?

Offline ca2pa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 06:06:42 pm »
I removed all my port forwards and re-did them. I was able to connect over my 4G. I was pretty happy until I got up this morning and found an email from my husband from work pretty much demanding that whatever I did, change it back. He works from home at 5 AM to update the news site but was not able to get on the internet nor log into his Cisco Secure Mobile Client to work. He had to go to work early and do it from the office. Yikes, I'm in the doghouse! But everything is working great on my computer and all the cameras, BlueIris and my iPad (all wireless devices.) His computer is connected via ethernet to the same router. A static ip would only apply to the computer I used in setting it up using the "network" properties directions at the link above, right? Why would it affect the other computer's connections to the internet? Could it be the 8.8.8.8 used for the DNS?  I so wanted Blue Iris to work remotely so I could see live video and recorded clips when we are away from home.

Offline Davey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 06:50:35 pm »
Could it be the 8.8.8.8 used for the DNS?

I diagnose a bad case of fingers, lol

:P
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:52:13 pm by Davey »

Offline ca2pa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 05:10:43 am »
Everything is working. I undid everything I had done before and did it again and this time assigned a static ip number using the number that was already assigned to the computer. I used my router's 192.168.1.1 as the gateway and used it again for the DNS server number and left the alternate DNS server number blank. I removed all the port forwards and added them again using TPC instead of UDP (which I had been using before) and changed the Blue Iris ip number to the one I had assigned to the computer with the port I had chosen. I still couldn't connect remotely using my 4G connection (wifi turned off) on my smartphone until I turned off the router's firewall and then everything worked. I have Avast web shield with a firewall so I think I'm covered.

Thanks for all your helpful answers.
Linda

Offline Davey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 10:05:33 am »
until I turned off the router's firewall and then everything worked. I have Avast web shield with a firewall so I think I'm covered.

A router firewall is the first line of defense for incoming hack / probe attempts on your lan and the last line of defense for outgoing connections that may be sending unauthorized packet connections, turning it off can be a quick fix but its far better to address (pun intended) the issue.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:12:59 am by Davey »

Cam It!

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 10:05:33 am »
    Advertisement

Mobile Theme