Advertisment:

Author Topic: foscam wifi  (Read 5791 times)

Offline mrlightmadness

• View Profile
foscam wifi
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:48:58 pm »
i'm currently running 2 foscam cameras on wifi.  when i'm downloading a file over the internet to a computer i'm not able to get my foscam app to work on my android phone even though its on the same wifi connection.  I wouldnt think this would be because of me maxing out the wifi as i'm using an 802.11n router and my download speed for my internet connection is 16mb.  i am also viewing the cameras remotely from the internet and phone app and they do seem to lag every once in a while.

would running the cameras using eithernet help this?  i'm looking at adding 2 more cameras but with the wifi issue and sometimes the lag i'm seeing i'm concerned and thinking about ditching foscam all together.  whats everyones thought?

i've considered going with something like
http://www.lorextechnology.com/HD-IP-security-camera-system/HD-surveillance-camera-system-with-12-HD-cameras/LNR1612.p

not sure i want to invest the money and some of my cable runs would have to be 200ft.  any help would be appreciated or any recommendations would be appreciated

Offline jayson

• View Profile
Re: foscam wifi
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 03:16:58 pm »
Your issues are most likely related to the wifi, its never going to be perfect. You dont say what exact foscam model you are currently using. The lorex system will blow the foscam away...
Running cable is a great investment. You will be able to upgrade your system anytime with any new ip camera. Make sure you use quality cable from monoprice, not cheap cheap cable from ebay that is most likely CCA or copper clad aluminum.
Costco has the lorex system with 9 cams (instead of 12) for way less, but its out of stock...buy from costco, you can return it anytime if you dont like it.
http://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-9-1080p-Cameras.product.100153135.html
They have cheaper versions of this system if you dont need that many cams
http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-Cameras.product.100153138.html

Offline mrlightmadness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 06:34:10 pm »
currently have FI9805W & FI9831P  and was looking at adding 2 more of 9805w  actually already have the 2 additional cameras but holding off and was thinking about returning them.

Offline jayson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 06:37:02 pm »
I would return them...

Offline mrlightmadness

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 06:41:56 pm »
what model is that unit from cosco was trying to see what sams has as cosco is out of stock and i have a sams club membership.  believe i found it on amazon as well

http://www.amazon.com/Lorex-Channel-Stratus-Security-Cameras/dp/B00HYQ6ADY/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

little bit more.  as part of the question answer said can have runs up to 100ft.  i've been researching that and cat5 can run up to 100meters even with poe on it.  anyone had issues running 200 or 300ft?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:45:32 pm by mrlightmadness »

Advertisement

Offline jayson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 07:15:16 pm »
Dont buy from amazon...that is a third party seller...the benefit of buying from a club is that sams and costco offer anytime return and via costco there is a 3 year warranty (incase you dont want to return it and have a defect in a single camera)...
How many cameras do you need?
Sams has no comparible system...if you only need 4 cams then this is an option
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/qsee-4x4-secrty-sys/prod11570578.ip?navAction=
Note its only 720p but will have better nightvision than most 3mp systems..
Disregard user answers on amazon..most of them dont know what they are talking about..the lorex NVR will send poe to 100m, its true poe not passive, so you have no worries.

Offline mrlightmadness

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 03:13:00 am »
good point on the warranty and being able to return it.  would be nice to purchase an additional warranty on a system.  I would like to have at least 8 cameras and 12 would be ideal.  4 dome and 4 bullet cameras at a minimum.  would like to have 6 of each.  running cat 6 cable is going to be a challenge.  thinking about holding onto the foscam bullet style i have and start on wiring the house.  can hard wire and test each run before getting a 8 or 12 camera system.  then when i order the system just plug it in and go.  any other brands and systems you would recommend.  would love to stay under the $2,000 mark but dont want to have to do this again in the future. 

remote view is a must.
can anyone point me to a link on installing the unit and having the display also come out of a coax cable.  I currently have direct tv and was curious if there is a way to take the output from the dvr and then input it onto the same cable my direct tv comes in on?  then just turn on the tv tune to channel 2 for example and be able to see everything.  this isnt a must but would be really handy to see all the cameras from any tv in the house.

Offline jayson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 06:09:35 am »
good point on the warranty and being able to return it.  would be nice to purchase an additional warranty on a system.  I would like to have at least 8 cameras and 12 would be ideal.  4 dome and 4 bullet cameras at a minimum.  would like to have 6 of each.  running cat 6 cable is going to be a challenge.  thinking about holding onto the foscam bullet style i have and start on wiring the house.  can hard wire and test each run before getting a 8 or 12 camera system.  then when i order the system just plug it in and go.  any other brands and systems you would recommend.  would love to stay under the $2,000 mark but dont want to have to do this again in the future. 

remote view is a must.
can anyone point me to a link on installing the unit and having the display also come out of a coax cable.  I currently have direct tv and was curious if there is a way to take the output from the dvr and then input it onto the same cable my direct tv comes in on?  then just turn on the tv tune to channel 2 for example and be able to see everything.  this isnt a must but would be really handy to see all the cameras from any tv in the house.
The problem with holding on to the foscams is that they will not work with the lorex nvr..you will be forced to use a pc based nvr solution like blue iris (which is great)... but you will need a powerful pc and it wont be plug and play. Pay someone to run the cable if you are not comfortable doing it.
As far as brands, lorex and swann rebrand hikvision and dahua...you can get them cheaper from china but you will have ZERO warranty and support...and upgrading firmware requires skill..so it depends on how technical you are...if you want plug and play get a swann or lorex ip system from costco...
Every NVR can do remote viewing..you need to properly set up port forwarding or VPN..
as far as coax, you will need to get an rf modulator with an hdmi input...a better but more time consuming solution is to run an ethernet cable from your nvr to your tv and hdmi over ethernet to direcly connect to the tv...so you can just change your tv input source and see your cams (the image will be much better than a modulator).

Offline mrlightmadness

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 12:37:32 pm »
currently have 4 foscam units 1 already mounted and the other is just sitting inside.  the other 2 are in box which i plan to return the 2 for sure.  pulling the Ethernet cable i should be able to do just will take me a lot longer then having someone do it for me.  getting rj45 to all 4 tv's in my house i'm not sure is possible.  that's why i was hoping to use the same coax cable line that the direct tv is already using.  guess i'll have to research and see what someone would charge to see if it would be worth it to have someone pull the line for me or do it myself as my time is currently limited. 

Offline jayson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 02:27:54 pm »
you can also use a mini android pc or fire tv with an application like ip camviewer...

Offline jayson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 02:28:04 am »
Note that the monoprice cat6 plugs are a two piece system which requires you to pass the wires through some small holes and its a huge pain. I dont recommend it. If you are new to this you may want to consider platimum tools ez crimper and plugs http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_17?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=platinum+tools+ez-rj45+crimp+tool&sprefix=Platinum+Tools+ez%2Caps%2C160&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aplatinum+tools+ez-rj45+crimp+tool
I have never used it but its known to be very user friendly...otherwise look for cat6 plugs that dont require the crazy insert that monoprice uses.
Also remember to wire your cables to the proper spec use 568B http://www.telcodepot.com/images/ricky-cat5e-jack.jpg
What are the wallplates going to be used for?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:08:42 pm by jayson »

Offline mrlightmadness

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 06:52:08 pm »
cool appreciate the info on the crimps and the cat6 plugs.

for the viewing on the tv....

"as far as coax, you will need to get an rf modulator with an hdmi input...a better but more time consuming solution is to run an ethernet cable from your nvr to your tv and hdmi over ethernet to direcly connect to the tv...so you can just change your tv input source and see your cams (the image will be much better than a modulator)."

trying to follow what you are saying for viewing on tv's.  looks like most have vga output as well as hdmi.  so you are talking about converting from hdmi to eithernet back to hdmi?  you said the rf modulator probably not the best way to go.  i have 2 tv's that for sure i want to hook up but if i can do 3 that would be even better.  can you point me in the direction for equipment for this.  how much difference are we talking with the rf modulator

Offline jayson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 07:06:25 pm »
The rf modulator you will need a vga or hdmi input, not output..ive never used them but my understanding is that there is a reduction in quality....
I used this
http://www.tripplite.com/hdmi-over-cat5-cat6-extender-splitter-transmitter-video-audio-1920x1200-1080p-60hz-4-port~B126004/
To transmit video from a pc running blue iris to a bunch of wall mounted monitors...you can do the same to any tv with hdmi..

Offline mrlightmadness

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 11:47:40 pm »
looks like that will do exactly what i need to see it on tv screens.  Not a cheep option but for better quality you get what you pay for.  $200 for the main box and then about $100 for each box that needs to receive the signal as i will be probably going about 100ft and will need the active ones.  can tell getting the distances here under 100ft makes a big difference.

Advertisement

Advertisment:

Mobile Theme