Advertisment:

Author Topic: foscam wifi  (Read 5811 times)

Offline jayson

• View Profile
Re: foscam wifi
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 01:30:42 am »
I would try the passive first...that way you dont spend the extra money and have to power the active unit in perpetuity.
A 1080p (60Hz) signal can be transmitted up to 50 ft.
A 1080i (60Hz) signal can be transmitted up to 100 ft.
I ran the passive from the basement in the center of a 3 story home to the attic then dropped it down and it was fine...use good quality solid copper cat 6..
Note, its important not to interrupt the cat6 by using a punch panel, wall plate, or coupler, all these things attenuate the signal and will cause problems.

Offline tng5737

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 03:18:16 am »
Like you I started off with Foscams - attracted by both the wireless aspect as well as the price.  I just finished replacing my last foscam tonight.  I have found them to be unreliable particularly if using wireless.  The picture quality leaves much to be desired.  I think overall you'd be better off investing in either dahua or hikvision cameras.
Asus Z87 Pro w. i7-4770K, 32gb; Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 w. AMD 8-CORE FX-8350; 32gb; BI3; 4-HFW2100; 4-HFW3200S; 1-FI8918

Offline mrlightmadness

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 05:38:25 pm »
tng5737 so what did you end up going with?  pros/cons of what you went with?

Offline mrlightmadness

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 12:20:56 am »
So the FI9805W foscams finally got on my final nerve and i'm returning all 3 of the 9805w's.  i'm currently going to keep the FI9831P only because i need something to monitor one room until i get a good wired system.  Hopefully can place the order on cable and connectors from monoprice unless someone sees a reason not to.  Soon as i get the main rooms wired then i can order whichever system that will work the best.  Still looking at a minimum of 8 channels 4 domes and 4 bullets.  being that this is my first unit trying to decide if i'll later regret not getting a unit that is cable of more channels or if 8 channels will be enough.

Offline jayson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 01:13:18 am »
Instead of the FI9831P  buy a hikvision 2432 with a 2.8mm wide lens..its is far superior to the foscam and you will most likely be able to use it with most NVR's that you purchase in the future..its is also wifi or poe.It has a pir motion sensor as well which will minimize false alerts. You will have a wide angle view and coverage of more area than the foscam.
If you want to save a few bux, there is a 2mp version of the camera being sold at newegg..its rebranded but its a hikvision forsure...the 2mp have better low light and night vision than the 3mp so it may be beneficial http://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16881183051
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:15:51 am by jayson »

Advertisement

Offline tng5737

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 02:29:54 am »
tng5737 so what did you end up going with?  pros/cons of what you went with?

I had eight foscams (3x FI8918W, 5xFI8904W).  The last two I puled out were the 18's    I used to do the animiated Christmas displays with broadcast sound.  In case anyone does not know about these things  what I am talking about is like those ABC Christmas light contest they have one every year!  (Although, my displays never reached the size of theirs).  It was a year long endeavor since it required detailed planning building of display elements and most of all sequencing the songs and lights.  Each year some of my display elements would either get vandalized or stolen so I started looking at security cams.  The first ones I came across were the foscams - largely thru Amazon.  Their low price made them pretty attractive.  Needless to say once I started using them I realized that they were not able to ID any perps. Also, connectivity on the 8918W was hit and miss (esp. with wireless)  They would frequently drop out.  So I bought some injectors and wired them with cat5  even so they would reset once or twice a day. The 8904's were better in this regard but the image quality was still bad.  While looking for the foscams I came across BlueIris sold on their site. That got me to cam-it and finally to here cctvforums.  Reading the threads was/is educational.  I decided to replace the Foscams with Dahua HxW2100.  The image on these cam was much better than the foscams for not much more money.  Still facial ID was problematic except for those relatively close to the camera.  This lead to getting the HxW3200 and finally HxW4300x     
The 2100's are nice cams and are perfect for monitoring small spaces like porches.  The 3200s are good a moderate distances.  I use the 4300s to monitor the front and back yards in a cross-fired setup.  The 3mp are nice but my dahua nvr3216 cannot display them at their full resolution.  I replaced the nvr with a nvr4216 which can handle the 3mp cams.  I have learned that more mp's are not necessarily better.   I am still struggling with getting a good night image on the cams which could be solved by adding more lighting.  I used the HDW4300c domes on the front of the house for esthetic reasons.  At this point this is all more of a hobby since after my last xmas theft I quit putting up a display.   So now I have Bi running on two pc's and a nvr recording constantly with a total of 10 cameras (1xHDW2100, 2XHFW2100;  3xHFW3200s, 4x4300s)  The lenses are all 3.6 except for the 4300c which have 2.8mm lenses.
Asus Z87 Pro w. i7-4770K, 32gb; Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 w. AMD 8-CORE FX-8350; 32gb; BI3; 4-HFW2100; 4-HFW3200S; 1-FI8918

Offline mrlightmadness

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 03:43:54 am »
so it looks like costco wont ever get this system back in.  keep checking online and still shows out of stock.  so you mention the nvr 3216 wouldnt support the 3mp cameras.  the one at costco  http://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-9-1080p-Cameras.product.100153135.html

is there any way to find out which nvr model is?  i would like to be able to add additional cameras and if it wont support 3mp that could be an issue.  so you also mentioned you got a new nvr and new cameras where did you make your purchase at as i have the cabling coming in next week and hope to start on wiring.  once the wire in im going to want to get this going.

side note.  really cool on the christmas lights.  i'm currently doing that for last few years.  only small display last year with 32 channels and will be adding RGB this year.

Offline jayson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 03:59:40 am »
It is this NVR
http://www.lorextechnology.com/Security-NVR/HD-security-NVR---LNR400-series/LNR400.p
if its still up on the costco website it indicates that they will be restocking it.
3mp is overrated..unless you need the extra vertical height 1080 is actually better as generally 1080p cameras will have better low light capability than the same camera that is 3mp...
If you dont need plug and play you can build your own hikvision systems via aliexpress or us sellers like nellys, LTS, amazon sellers...be weary of firmware upgrade issues of china region cameras so learn about those problems..and determine if you are willing to deal with them, otherwise confirm with a us seller that you are getting us region cameras.

Offline mrlightmadness

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 02:05:14 pm »
so thinking this might be a backup option if costco doesnt get it any.  anyone ever ordered from tiger direct and if you can get extended war or square trade warranty?

http://biz.tigerdirect.com/product/itemKey/102862587

Offline jayson

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 03:32:59 pm »
Its worth the wait for costco, if only for the easy of return at ANY time after purchase...

Offline mrlightmadness

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 11:39:53 pm »
appreciate the advice and will probably wait on costco for the main unit.  will consider exploring aliexpress for additional cameras as i have a few that will be critical and dont want to have any fuss or issues.  the additional 4 that i might buy in the future can be a play / learning experience. 

on the LND3152 Series IP Camera from the links i'm seeing you can mount the dome and run the wire straight through the sheet rock and have no wires showing it looks like.  from the pictures i cant tell if the dome camera already has an Ethernet cable attached or does it just have the jack for the one we are running.  my cat6 cable is coming in next week and hopefully will be able to start pulling some cable the following weekend.

http://www.lorextechnology.com/downloads/ip-cameras/LND3152/LND3152_SERIES_TRIFOLDQSG_EN_R1.pdf

question on the mouse.  will it support any of the usb wireless mouse?  or will it not recognize the drivers for it.  Was thinking where i'll mount the nvr and if i wanted to use the tv and switch views having a wireless mouse might work?  with 2.4ghz mouse the range would be the only trick.

one below claims 100ft
http://www.amazon.com/Gyration-Wireless-Mouse-Mobile-GYM2200/dp/B007G6HIDI%3FSubscriptionId%3D14H876SFAKFS0EHBYQ02%26tag%3Dhubacct3749-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB007G6HIDI
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 12:46:10 am by mrlightmadness »

Advertisment:

Mobile Theme