Advertisment:

Author Topic: Anyway to use non POE Foscam with POE switches w/o the need for injectors?  (Read 5909 times)

Offline jayson

• View Profile
The foscam poe kit is a ripoff...buy this kit here
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-POE200-Ethernet-Injector-Splitter/dp/B004UBUB7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432062665&sr=8-1&keywords=poe+kit

Your post seems to indicate that you want to use the camera without an injector for each camera...you can do this if you buy a poe switch and then simply use a splitter at each camera.

The person may not need both the injector and the splitter. Which is Why I provided a link to both of them sold as a ("Kit") and individually.

Also. They are not a ("ripoff") they work well and are rock solid.

Don
If you would bother to look at my link you would see that there are 3 options as well, splitter, kit, injector...
Each option is much cheaper than the foscam. The tp link kit i linked to is extremely well reviewed...no reason to overpay foscam by 15 dollars...

Looked at your link and still say the Foscam PoE choices are viable options at their prices.

Don
Why because you are a moderator on the foscam forum? Please give me one reason that the user should spend the addition 15 dollars..of course its a viable option - its just a stupid one..STOP suggesting that folks toss their hard earned money out the window. Foscam vs tp-link, this is not a difficult decision.
If OP for whatever reason wants that specific unit then they can get it here for less.
http://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-POE-I100-Single-Injector-Black/dp/B005BQUNEG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432063940&sr=1-1&keywords=bv+tech+injector
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00XNKSUT2/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new
Your item does not have a specific warranty for 1 year. That's one of several reasons.

That said. I will let the poster decided what they want to do. They are asking, not you.

Don
Yes you are correct. It does not have a 1 year warranty, its has a TWO year warranty with advanced replacement.
http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=234&model=TL-POE200#spec
Any other reasons? I would never trust foscams warranty..they refused to remedy the issues I had with my 9820.
Even if the tp link unit didnt have a warranty at all, how in the world does it make sense to pay 15 dollar for a 1 year warranty on a 25 dollar item?
Stop peddling the overpriced foscam...

Please try to get over me posting a link as a suggested source for PoE equipment without needing to go crazy about it like you also do in the other forum. Even with another name here, you still are the same as there. LOL.

It's a link. Relax, the poster will decide.

Don
If by the same you mean calling out your BS, then yes. You made a suggestion, I pointed out that its WAY overpriced. In an attempt to peddle foscam (because you moderate their forum) you keep pushing the foscam device knowing that is in no way superior to the tp-link..In fact we now know that it has a shorter warranty. Yet you still keep peddling it..hmmm I wonder why?

Your suggested PoE equipment ("Click on image below") is not IEEE 802.3af compliant which Foscam says is required for all their non native PoE IP Camera models:

The Foscam PoE choices I provided are viable options at their prices and meet what Foscam says are their 802.3af Active PoE requirements to use PoE with all their non native PoE IP Camera models. 

Don
First I'll point out your tendency to edit posts so as to make it appear as though i did not respond to you..You took your prior post, deleted it and replaced it with this.
Second, Total nonsense as usual...How can foscam require a POE standard for a NON poe camera...THAT MAKES NO SENSE..the splitter will output the voltage you set it at..The fact that you made that statement shows your intentionally misleading, because I know for a fact you know better.
Third, the OP can purchase the injector and the splitter in my like WITH ARE 802 compliant and it would still be 8 dollars cheaper and have a two year advance exchange warratny..

I am still chuckling about the fact that foscam recommends using 802.3af devices with their NON poe cameras...common are you joking?
Please show me the link, that would show their complete incompetence.

The facts are the facts "fenderman".

Foscam does sell IP Camera models that natively support PoE. These requirements are for Foscam IP Camera models that don't natively support PoE.

If the poster has any doubts about these Foscam requirements. They are welcome to contact their Foscam seller. Who will confirm the requirements I stated here.

Don
Facts are facts? please show me where foscam recommends using the 802 standard which is a POE standard with their non poe camera? AND could you give ANY reason why that method would be superior to the tp link kit?
The FACT is that you peddle foscam because you moderate their forum. Its sad that you will mislead folks so that they part with their hard earned money. You are either lying about the foscam requirement or foscam is inept. There is no difference on a NON poe camera..How stupid do you think we are?
Finally EVEN if I take your lie and accept it, why should op not save 8 dollars and simply buy the injector and splitter from tp-link which are 802 compliant AND has a longer and BETTER warranty.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:14:00 am by jayson »

Offline TheUberOverLord

• View Profile
    • Free IP Camera Software
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-POE200-Ethernet-Injector-Splitter/dp/B004UBUB7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432062665&sr=8-1&keywords=poe+kit

Your post seems to indicate that you want to use the camera without an injector for each camera...you can do this if you buy a poe switch and then simply use a splitter at each camera.

The person may not need both the injector and the splitter. Which is Why I provided a link to both of them sold as a ("Kit") and individually.

Don
If you would bother to look at my link you would see that there are 3 options as well, splitter, kit, injector...
Each option is much cheaper than the foscam. The tp link kit i linked to is extremely well reviewed...no reason to overpay foscam by 15 dollars...

Looked at your link and still say the Foscam PoE choices are viable options at their prices.

Don
Why because you are a moderator on the foscam forum? Please give me one reason that the user should spend the addition 15 dollars..of course its a viable option - its just a stupid one..STOP suggesting that folks toss their hard earned money out the window. Foscam vs tp-link, this is not a difficult decision.
If OP for whatever reason wants that specific unit then they can get it here for less.
http://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-POE-I100-Single-Injector-Black/dp/B005BQUNEG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432063940&sr=1-1&keywords=bv+tech+injector
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00XNKSUT2/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new
Your item does not have a specific warranty for 1 year. That's one of several reasons.

That said. I will let the poster decided what they want to do. They are asking, not you.

Don
Yes you are correct. It does not have a 1 year warranty, its has a TWO year warranty with advanced replacement.
Any other reasons? I would never trust foscams warranty..they refused to remedy the issues I had with my 9820.
Even if the tp link unit didnt have a warranty at all, how in the world does it make sense to pay 15 dollar for a 1 year warranty on a 25 dollar item?

Please try to get over me posting a link as a suggested source for PoE equipment without needing to go crazy about it like you also do in the other forum. Even with another name here, you still are the same as there. LOL.

Don
If by the same you mean calling out your BS, then yes. You made a suggestion, I pointed out that its WAY overpriced. In an attempt to peddle foscam (because you moderate their forum) you keep pushing the foscam device knowing that is in no way superior to the tp-link..In fact we now know that it has a shorter warranty. Yet you still keep peddling it..hmmm I wonder why?

Your suggested PoE equipment ("Click on image below") is not IEEE 802.3af compliant which Foscam says is required for all their non native PoE IP Camera models:

The Foscam PoE choices I provided are viable options at their prices and meet what Foscam says are their 802.3af Active PoE requirements to use PoE with all their non native PoE IP Camera models. 

Don
First I'll point out your tendency to edit posts so as to make it appear as though i did not respond to you..You took your prior post, deleted it and replaced it with this.
Second, Total nonsense as usual...How can foscam require a POE standard for a NON poe camera...THAT MAKES NO SENSE..the splitter will output the voltage you set it at..The fact that you made that statement shows your intentionally misleading, because I know for a fact you know better.
Third, the OP can purchase the injector and the splitter in my like WITH ARE 802 compliant and it would still be 8 dollars cheaper and have a two year advance exchange warratny..

I am still chuckling about the fact that foscam recommends using 802.3af devices with their NON poe cameras...common are you joking?

Foscam does sell IP Camera models that natively support PoE. These requirements are for Foscam IP Camera models that don't natively support PoE.

If the poster has any doubts about these Foscam requirements. They are welcome to contact their Foscam seller. Who will confirm the requirements I stated here.

Don
Facts are facts? please show me where foscam recommends using the 802 standard which is a POE standard with their non poe camera? AND could you give ANY reason why that method would be superior to the tp link kit?
The FACT is that you peddle foscam because you moderate their forum. Its sad that you will mislead folks so that they part with their hard earned money.

fenderman,

You are also welcome to contact an authorized Foscam seller directly and ask them about their requirements for using PoE with their IP Camera models that don't natively support PoE as well.

Don
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:05:05 am by TheUberOverLord »

Offline jayson

• View Profile

Don

Don

Don

Don

Don

Don
The FACT is that you peddle foscam because you moderate their forum. Its sad that you will mislead folks so that they part with their hard earned money.
fenderman,

You are also welcome to contact Foscam and ask them about their requirements for using PoE with their IP Camera models that don't natively support PoE as well.

Don
If this is a foscam requirement why cant you point to some documentation? the reason is because it does NOT exist...you cannot require a POE standard for a non poe camera...You are just making stuff up...stop it. How in good conscious can you mislead like this? Whats wrong  with you?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:19:19 am by jayson »

Offline TheUberOverLord

• View Profile

Don

Don

Don

Don

Don

Don
fenderman,

You are also welcome to contact Foscam and ask them about their requirements for using PoE with their IP Camera models that don't natively support PoE as well.

Don
If this is a foscam requirement why cant you point to some documentation? the reason is because it doenst exist...you cannot require a POE standard for a non poe camera...You are just making stuff up...stop it. How in good conscious can you mislead like this? Whats wrong  with you?

fenderman,

This is not ipcamtalk.com where I need to put up with your inability to grasps concepts.

You can contact a Foscam seller directly and ask them. I have told you that.

I'm not going to let myself be tangled up in your need to take threads of topic here. So I have made the statements I have here and stand by them and have told you how to confirm them.

If the poster has any questions for me or others here have any questions for me about this subject matter. I will answer them. But I am done playing your fenderman of ipcamtalk games here at cam-it.org.

Don
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:03:38 am by TheUberOverLord »

Offline jayson

• View Profile

Don

Don

Don

Don

Don

Don
fenderman,

Don
If this is a foscam requirement why cant you point to some documentation? the reason is because it doenst exist...you cannot require a POE standard for a non poe camera...You are just making stuff up...stop it. How in good conscious can you mislead like this? Whats wrong  with you?

fenderman,

This is not ipcamtalk.com where I need to put up with your inability to grasps concepts.

You can contact Foscam and ask them. I have told you that.

I'm not going to let myself be tangled up in your need to take threads of topic here. So I have made the statements I have here and stand by them and have told you how to confirm them.

If the poster has any questions for me or other here. I will answer them. But I am done playing your fenderman of ipcamtalk games here at cam-it.org.

Don
What are you going to do? try and get me banned because I pointed out how ridiculous you sound? How you are intentionally misleading the forum members. Shame on you. You cannot explain why in the world 802 would matter on a NON poe camera..because it doesnt..Im glad you posted this because any person reading this can see you are intentionally misleading.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:25:13 am by jayson »

Advertisement

Offline jayson

• View Profile
I just got off the phone with foscam support - 14 minuets on hold. The tech identified himself as Smith (Indian accent though). He CONFIRMED that 802 is NOT required for foscam cameras that are not POE.
Any other response would have been insane.

So uber, why dont you call your buddies at foscam and have them retrain the tech...PLEASE tell me why 802 would make a difference. If you can explain this to me, I will paypal to you $100. You cant, because its nonsense.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:32:16 am by jayson »

Offline TheUberOverLord

• View Profile
I just got off the phone with foscam support - 14 minuets on hold. The tech identified himself as Smith (Indian accent though). He CONFIRMED that 802 is NOT required for foscam cameras that are not POE.

So uber, why dont you call your buddies at foscam and have them retrain the tech...PLEASE tell me why 802 would make a difference. If you can explain this to me, I will paypal to you $100. You cant, because its nonsense.

Please directly contact an authorized Foscam seller fenderman as I suggested in my prior posts here.

I have no idea whom you spoke with. I get my information directly from Foscam China engineers, the manufacturers of these IP Cameras.

I don't need your money fenderman. But I do still need you to comprehend how sudden voltage drops ("Which can be caused by IP Cameras starting up, using PTZ motors and/or turning IR lights on") can cause IP Camera stability problems over long distances depending on the DC voltage of the IP Camera in question when not using Active PoE methods with IP Camera that don't natively support PoE. Especially more so with IP Cameras that don't natively support PoE that use 5V DC. Which I tried to help you understand in the past and you could not grasp the potential IP Camera instability problems:

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1252-Current-draw-of-IP-cameras-such-as-Foscam-F18910W&p=10697&viewfull=1#post10697

My first post in this forum thread here asks the poster questions. Which include what Foscam IP Camera model they have to determine what DC voltage their Foscam IP Camera model is using 5V or 12V DC and the cable run in feet that they will be using for PoE. The poster has yet to answer my questions.

That said. These very broad general statements apply to using Foscam IP Camera models that don't natively support PoE:

Note: It's never a good idea to use passive PoE with IP Cameras of any brand and model that don't natively support PoE. Because they have such a wide possible range of current usage. IP Camera startup, PTZ motors and IR lights.

Unless the distance from the injector/switch is less than 100 feet and the IP Cameras voltage requirement is 12V DC without active PoE and a splitter. If the IP Camera voltage requirement was 5V DC then it's never a good idea to go over a distance of 10 feet without active PoE and a splitter.

Example:

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1252-Current-draw-of-IP-cameras-such-as-Foscam-F18910W&p=10697&viewfull=1#post10697

Don

More details about 5V DC devices using passive PoE:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet#Passive

Don
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:07:00 am by TheUberOverLord »

Offline jayson

• View Profile

Please contact a Foscam seller. I have no idea whom you spoke with. I get my information directly from Foscam China engineers, the manufacturers of these IP Cameras.

I don't need your money fenderman. But I do still need you to comprehend how sudden voltage drops can cause IP Camera stability problems over long distances depending on the DC voltage of the IP Camera in question when not using Active PoE methods especially more so with 5V DC which I tried to help you understand in the past and you could not grasp the potential IP Camera instability problems.

My first post here asks the poster questions as well that include what Foscam IP Camera model they have and the cable run they will be using for PoE to determine what DC voltage their Foscam IP Camera is. The poster has yet to answer my questions.

That said. This general statement applies:

Note: It's never a good idea to use passive PoE with IP Cameras of any brand and model that don't natively support PoE. Because they have such a wide possible range of current usage. IP Camera startup, PTZ motors and IR lights.

Unless the distance from the injector/switch is less than 100 feet and the IP Cameras voltage requirement is 12V DC. If the IP Camera voltage requirement was 5V DC then it's never a good idea to use passive PoE if the distance is over 10 feet.

Don

Don
NONSENSE, First you say call foscam, then you say thats no good enough, i need to contact engineers in china. Really? Why dont they publish this info..if the device can provide the power it states in the specs there is no issue. The data sheet specifically states for use with ip cameras. Its rated at 328 feet. Its 15 dollars cheaper than the foscam kit.
Furthermore, the 802 injector and splitter available in the same link are 802af compliant and still 8 dollars  cheaper and with a warranty.
You are lying about foscam requiring 802af, you made it up knowing that I will not be calling chinese engineers...you need to supply documentation to backup your bogus claims.

Offline TheUberOverLord

• View Profile

Please contact a Foscam seller. I have no idea whom you spoke with. I get my information directly from Foscam China engineers, the manufacturers of these IP Cameras.

I don't need your money fenderman. But I do still need you to comprehend how sudden voltage drops can cause IP Camera stability problems over long distances depending on the DC voltage of the IP Camera in question when not using Active PoE methods especially more so with 5V DC which I tried to help you understand in the past and you could not grasp the potential IP Camera instability problems.

My first post here asks the poster questions as well that include what Foscam IP Camera model they have and the cable run they will be using for PoE to determine what DC voltage their Foscam IP Camera is. The poster has yet to answer my questions.

Unless the distance from the injector/switch is less than 100 feet and the IP Cameras voltage requirement is 12V DC. If the IP Camera voltage requirement was 5V DC then it's never a good idea to use passive PoE if the distance is over 10 feet.

Don

Don
NONSENSE, First you say call foscam, then you say thats no good enough, i need to contact engineers in china. Really? Why dont they publish this info..if the device can provide the power it states in the specs there is no issue. The data sheet specifically states for use with ip cameras. Its rated at 328 feet. Its 15 dollars cheaper than the foscam kit.
Furthermore, the 802 injector and splitter available in the same link are 802af compliant and still 8 dollars  cheaper and with a warranty.
You are lying about foscam requiring 802af, you made it up knowing that I will not be calling chinese engineers...you need to supply documentation to backup your bogus claims.

fenderman,

If the poster has any questions for me or others here have any questions for me about this subject matter. I will answer them. But I am done playing your fenderman of ipcamtalk games here at cam-it.org.

Don
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:02:52 am by TheUberOverLord »

Offline jayson

• View Profile

Don

Don

fenderman,

Don
I very much doubt you are done, you dont have that kind of self control.

I did call foscam.us an official distributor. Now you say I need to call china. OK. Who do I speak to?
 Please post the number to foscam china so i can call. Not the standard number. Put me in touch with an engineer so they can explain this to me. Show me ANY documentation to this effect. Something, anything.
OP please simply buy the TP-link unit...If you want the 802.af unit for possible future use, get the splitter and injector sold a separate units..still 8 dollars less than foscam and a better warranty.

Offline TheUberOverLord

• View Profile

Don

Don

fenderman,

Don

I did call foscam.us an official distributor. Now you say I need to call china. OK. Who do I speak to?
 Please post the number to foscam china so i can call. Not the standard number. Put me in touch with an engineer so they can explain this to me. Show me ANY documentation to this effect. Something, anything.
OP please simply buy the TP-link unit...If you want the 802.af unit for possible future use, get the splitter and injector sold a separate units..still 8 dollars less than foscam and a better warranty.

http://foscam.us/contactus.html

I can assure you fenderman, that you are giving very bad advice to this Foscam IP Camera owner.

Don
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:12:54 am by TheUberOverLord »

Offline jayson

• View Profile

Don

Don

fenderman,

Don

http://foscam.us/contactus.html

I can assure you fenderman, that you are giving very bad advice to this Foscam IP Camera owner.

Don
See, I knew you were not done. Stop lying, would you also recommend that a standard power adapter be 802af compliant. How is this any different, its designed to transmit power over that distance. You are purposely misleading.
Also, if the poster wants he can purchase the splitter and injector that ARE af compliant and still be 8 dollars cheaper with a better warranty..

Offline bvca

• View Profile
I feel bad for the guy who asked the question in post #1. Knock it off guys.

Offline dannieboiz

• View Profile
    • Email
For some reason, I'm not getting notification when I there are responses to my post.

I think either option is probably not worth it. I have an FI8904w which are over 3 years old now. I was looking for a cheap way to do it cause since I moved, I installed 4 Hikvision and a Dahua  outside the house. I have 4 of the Foscam outdoor camera that I didn't want to put to waste but did not want to pull power cables to the outside of the house. I have use a Cisco 3500 POE switch to power all the POE camera and have all these extra ports.

Looks like I'll need to spend around $25 per camera to add POE capabilities. But for about $80 I can buy a HIKvision that will be much better quality. The effort to pull cables for the camera would justify the additional cost of just getting a new POE camera. I just hate seeing perfectly working equipment go to waste.

Offline wifiqos

• View Profile
    • Multi Port PoE solutions
We are engineers, and users of all types of Foscam cameras.   We have videos about the problems using 12 volts or less on Ethernet wire https://www.youtube.com/embed/C2IndxS2K68, and why 48 volts is preferred.

We needed to power some 8910 and other 5v cameras, so we started making and selling these kits for 4, 8, 12 and 16 cameras,  we have compete kits, and models that work with your Cisco.

http://find-a-poe.com/product-category/IP-Cameras/5v-non-poe/

3 years later, they are doing great and in use by a large number of Foscam customers.    We are Electrical Engineers, and if you have any questions about the physics behind this solution, please contact us, or watch the video.  Thanks!

we have a " find a poe "  function where you can input the camera and model, and get the recommended solution.  Thanks
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:15:43 pm by wifiqos »
Murray Freeman
PoE Solutions
http://wifiqos.com

Advertisement

Advertisment:

Mobile Theme